Special Needs Patients
Children with special needs deserve compassionate dental care that’s tailored to them. Our pediatric dentists at Where Smiles Grow have advanced specialty training in clinical dentistry. We treat infants, children, teens and those with special needs and dental anxiety.
Our training not only encompasses clinical dentistry, but also early childhood development, behavior management, and child psychology to ensure superior quality care for our special needs patients.
We’re also proud recipients of the Outstanding Providers Award from the Autism Society of the Greater Capital Region, so you can rest assured that your child is in good hands when you trust our office. We are also the only dentists on the Albany Medical Center Cleft & Craniofacial Team, which is the only accredited craniofacial team for approximately 100 miles in any direction.
What can a pediatric dentist do to help my special needs child?
Going to the dentist can be challenging and even stressful for a family when a child has special healthcare or behavioral needs. For children suffering with dental anxiety/phobia, sensory issues, autism spectrum disorder or a wide range of other conditions that may make a trip to the dentist a more complex event, our pediatric dentists can provide the added support and experience they need to feel safe in the dental chair.
We work to customize every patient’s experience so that it works best for your child, in a comfortable and safe environment. Here are just a few of the steps our pediatric dentists take when treating your special needs child:
- Making appropriate physical accommodations
- Paying special attention to dental anxiety/phobia and taking into account past dental history & experiences
- Tailoring the appointment length to the patient’s abilities
- Encouraging parents to provide background knowledge on their child to best enable us to adapt our recommendations to their needs
- Offering oral conscious sedation and hospital-based general anesthesia as an option for those that may need it
- Creating a progressive treatment and behavioral plan so we can help them grow with us and become more confident in their ability to go through their dental journey
Our pediatric dentists will discuss every aspect of their findings and recommendations to make sure you understand and are comfortable with everything reviewed. We can accommodate a variety of physical and behavioral needs so your child can get the quality dental care they deserve.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Your child deserves personalized dental care that meets their needs. If you’re looking for a dentist for your special needs child in Latham, Delmar, or anywhere in the capital district, Where Smiles Grow is now accepting new patients. Fill out our contact form or call (518) 785-3911 to make an appointment with our pediatric dentists today.